Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Thinking about the Mid-Century Modest Manifesto

I was just reading Pam Keuber's Mid-Century Modest Manifesto over at Retrorenovation.com. It's funny, but our house is like a Mid-Century Modest home grown up. All the features of a modest 50's house, only bigger than 1000 square feet.

We talk sometimes about how we bought the both the house I grew up in and the house his dad would have loved (only better than either). But really, we bought a house that appeals to our sensibilities; one that speaks to the optimism and thriftiness of that time, and the strong "retro" gene we have.

Aqua walls - REALLY!
This weekend I painted my kitchen Sherwin Williams "Tame Teal". It looks fabulous. They may call it "teal" but it looks an awful lot like mid-century aqua. Yumm. I wanted Aqua Boomerang countertops, but he Really Didn't. So now, I'll get my aqua fix on the walls, and have more neutral counters.  I'm not at all unhappy about that. I tend to get tired of colors and repaint, aqua countertops could have limited my creativity. Can you envision other fabulous retro color schemes?





No comments:

Post a Comment